Thursday, May 5, 2016

This is for me.

I started the original Radiation-Scarred Reviews in December of 2008.  The relationship I was in at the time, with a beautiful, brilliant woman, was coming to a close - nobody's fault, just us growing apart - and I knew I needed a distraction to keep myself from grieving over the end of the relationship.  So I started a blog about horror movies.

Radiation-Scarred Reviews lasted longer than the grieving period, and began to grow.  I began to attend horror conventions and write for other sites, with Radiation-Scarred Reviews acting as my gateway into all this.

Somewhere along the way, I forgot that this was supposed to be fun.  I started to stress myself out about the fact that I felt like nobody was reading my writing, that I felt like I was in a vacuum and started to wonder what was the point.  The search terms that pointed people to my blog showed that all anybody seemed to care about was finding nude photos of various actresses.  I finally threw up my hands in exasperation and walked away.

That was a year ago.

In the interim between then and now, I've realized that I've missed having this outlet to geek out and throw my opinions around about the weird and obscure movies I watch.  I've waffled back and forth on resurrecting Radiation-Scarred Reviews but after a pep talk from another cult movie freak like myself, I realized it was the right thing to do - but I have to be doing it for me, not for anyone else.  I'm not going to worry myself about update schedules or reviewing what other people want to see reviewed; I'm going to review movies that I want to see, and do so on my own time.  To do otherwise will be to depress myself aggravate myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment